Friday, April 17, 2009

Ode to grandfathers

{conversation last night}
Me: Going to Target. Need anything?
Lee (in the middle of a game of football on the XBox live complete with dorky headset & yelling at whoever he is playing against): I thought you said you went to Target at lunch.
Me: I did. But we need toilet paper.
Lee: So you are going all the way to Target for toilet paper?
Me: Yep. See you after the game.
And on the way to Target {which is "all the way" about 10 minutes away from the house but there are 2 grocery stores and a Dollar General less than 5 minutes away}, I had an epiphany.
I love Target the way my grandfather loved grocery stores.
My Big Daddy was always going to the grocery store.
He would go multiple times during the day, most of the time for just 1-2 items.
I never really understood it...until now.
There is just something about Target that makes it worth the "long" trip for a single item.
{goodness knows I never leave with just 1 item however}
I would must rather spend my time & money in a clean, spacious, organized Target than Wal-Mart {or that Dollar General 5 minutes away) anyday.
And I am sure my Big Daddy felt the same way about his grocery stores.
You know what Big Daddy's favorite purchase was at the grocery store?
Toilet paper
He always kept the house well stocked with the fluffiest kind.
He would not have thought it weird that I made a trip all the way to Target for some Cottonelle.
OK so maybe all this was not an "epiphany" but it made me think of my Big Daddy and miss him a little bit.
Since I am reminiscing, here is a layout I did a couple of years ago about him.
Supplies: Patterned paper, die cuts (Cosmo Cricket), Chipboard (Heidi Swapp), Ink (Ranger), Brads, bookplate (Junkitz)
___________________________________________________________________________
And speaking of grandfathers, my layout in the May/June issue of Memory Makers is about my grandfather on my dad's side of the family.
He is Daddy Bill.
{I have always thought my grandfathers had cool names}
Daddy Bill is responsible for all the tennis-playing that goes on on the Misner side of the family.
And that is David in the pictures with him.
David is the same brother from the previous post who is now back in the South.

Supplies: Patterned paper (Basic Grey, My Mind's Eye), Chipboard stars (Heidi Swapp), Chipboard alphas (Basic Grey), Brads (KI Memories)

Ah, memories!

Happy Friday!
{I just thought of something else I need from Target: mascara!}
gretchen

8 comments:

erin said...

cute post, and great los!
i love my 2-3 times/week trips to target, too:)

Unknown said...

I *heart* Target, loath Walmart, and know exactly what you mean. :)

Nubia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nubia said...

It is funny how we are all "related". I remember when I was younger I always thought it was weird that my grandma always wore a headband at here age. And her I am finding myself wearing them all the time!

HoweverAlthough said...

I blogged about my grandfather last week, and then I saw several other blog entries from friends about grandfathers...wonder what's up with that? Anyway, both are very sweet and meaningful layouts. And I often go to Target at lunch and then again on the way home...and that's not at all odd to me.

missusem said...

wish I could go shop at target!! :) no target in norway.. love your blog!!

Michele Kovack said...

Love these LO's!!!

mary h. said...

Love this post. It is so sweet. And I'd have to agree with Big Daddy, you can never have too much of the fluffiest fanny ribbon.;)