Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yes you can


OK I feel like I need to address an issue.
I have gotten a few too many emails that go something like this, "I would really like to run but there is no way I can do it" or "I can't run to the end of my driveway" or "There is no way I could ever be a runner".
blah, blah, blah
I am tired of these emails.
You girls {because I am pretty sure no males read this} need a little pep talk and some self-confidence.
Now I tried out to be a cheerleader in the 7th grade.
I was devastated when I didn't make it.
I vowed I would never cheerlead again.
Well, girls, I am breaking that vow and getting my pom poms out right now!
Two bits, four bits...
{OK not really}
Seriously, people, you can run!!
You can do it!
Want to be able to run a 5k (3.1 miles)??
I promise you that you can do it.
And it does not have to be complicated.
Don't let it be too overwelming.
Don't think about that being soooooooo far.
It is all about baby steps.
{anybody see that movie with Bill Murray called "What about Bob?"}
{baaaby steps, baaaby steps}
:)
I bet if you went outside right now and said you were going to walk 3.1 miles you could do it.
You know you can walk that far.
Now add a little bit of running into it.
And tomorrow add a little bit more.
And then a little more.
And a little more.
And eventually you will get to where you can run that entire 3.1 miles.
Seriously.
You can do it!
It will take some work.
It will take a little time and a good pair of shoes.
But you can do it!
Let me know if I can help.
But no emails that say, "I run like an elephant".
Now go get your run on.
:)
gretchen

9 comments:

Rachel said...

You are so right, Gretchen! I ran a 5k last year and I'm planning on running another this year. I have several motivations for getting myself to run and you should know, you sharing your experiences here is one of them. Having other friends who run in big races (my maid of honor is an Iron Man!) is also a big motivation. My friend here ran my first race with me. She stuck with me the entire way and I made a scrapbook page about it that was picked up for publication!

Thanks for all of the inspiration and good luck in your next race!

Lisa said...

ok - seriously, a year ago i would have said - no way, can't do it. heck 6 months ago i would have said the same thing. but for some reason, i'm motivated to do this. i'm impatient and couldn't wait for the kick off of event registration, so i did a bit of googling and came across a few training programs. so i got on my treadmill Monday with the plan to walk about 5 minutes, jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 60 seconds - you know the routine - and then wrap up with walking the last 5 minutes. i couldn't even jog 20 seconds!! but i'm not giving up. i know i'm a slow starter because i'm not walking regularly now - but that's not stopping me. everyone has to start somewhere! and i know gretchen, you don't need to know this - but maybe someone else leaving a comment who thinks they can't do it - may read this and think they can.

Amy L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy L said...

You inspired me! Check out my blog post at http://amylejeune.typepad.com/

Kelli said...

what if I said I run like a rhinoceros or a Brontosaurus, is that okay? LOL

on good days I run like a gazelle! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm on it! I seriously could run for only 3 minutes about 9 months ago. Seriously. But yesterday I ran 2 miles, so I can be ready in October!! I'm all over this one!

Anonymous said...

loving the pompoms Gretchen! let me say that I am in one of the last few age groups & I CAN RUN 3.1 miles!!! without stopping! 1 year ago I could not run from one mailbox to the next without calling an ambulance! but with some determination and serious peer pressure from grandchildren & daughters & my running twin sister, I AM DOING it! and just placed 2nd in my age group at the last 5K with my best time of 37:44!! just had to brag on that. & I will be there at the Race for the Cure to improve my time from last year! So the moral of this story is if I can do it, anybody can!!! Grandmary

mademoisellechitchat said...

You have been featured on my blog in my "featured blog" series. ;)

Good morning!

Just call me "B" said...

You are one funny kid. I am glad we are friends!