Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Excited about this

Running this one for several reasons:
1. for all the men in my life
2. because, duh, it is Talladega and I already know which #88 hat I am going to wear
3. well, basically the race course description sold me
The half-marathon (13.1 miles/21 kilometers or better yet, 21,000 meters – thus the name of the event) will begin at 8:30 a.m. on the Talladega Superspeedway. You’ll take a trip down pit road, merge onto turn one, run around to the back stretch and exit out to the service road just before turn three, take a trip around the service road and out onto the grounds outside of the track, come back in through the main gates, up through (under) the grandstands, then up onto the service road that runs above turns one and two (providing a spectacular view looking down at the six story embankment), through (under) the grandstands on the back stretch, back around the service road, through the tunnel to the track’s infield, wind around the infield and enter the track at turn one, and run a complete lap of the track to the finish line (imagine the race to the finish line between Ricky Bobby and Jean Girard in Talladega Nights).
4. and because I am holding out hope that Dale Jr. will make a surprise appearance
I mean, it is an off weekend for Nascar so there is a chance.
{a girl can hope}
Wanna join me??

3 comments:

Nubia said...

seriously, I mean it would take me all day to just WALK all those meters. But I can always cheer!

Julia said...

On behalf of my husband, THANK YOU!!! Mike has had prostate cancer for six years; he's been treating it with diet and some other natural therapies, hoping that a new non-invasive treatment will become available....til then, he's keeping it from growing....So, thank you for what you're doing to help research efforts!!!
Big hug,
Julia

PS When is/was the run????

Gretchen said...

the run is this weekend! saturday April 11