Friday, January 16, 2009

26.2...been there, run that

And I live to tell about it...again.
When I committed to do this again I made 3 goals:
1) Train harder and be better prepared than last year.
2) Finish in under 5 hours.
3) Make sure that this year's pictures are much better than last year's. This is a big one. As a scrapbooker it really hurts my layouts when I look like death in each and every picture. I just can't have that.
_______________________________________________________________
Going into the marathon I had accomplished my first goal. I was much better prepared this time. Sure, I could have been even better prepared, but I had put in the time and put in the miles so I was ready for this one.
This is Brittney and I before the start.
It is roughly 4:30 AM in this picture so back off with any snide comments!
The next few hours would be telling as to whether or not I would accomplish my other 2 goals.
________________________________________________________________

Lee did a great job of trekking around all over Disney to cheer us on and snap some photos.
This is the first one he got of us at ~9 miles into it as we ran through the Ticket & Transportation Center on our way to Magic Kingdom.

So far so good on the pictures.
_______________________________________________________________

Yep, he carried it the entire way.

And check this guy out!
It's Spartan Guy!
And he is fully garbed in his helmet, arm guards, and cape while carrying a sword...for 26.2 miles.
What you cannot see is that he is also wearing boots-not Nikes, but knee high boots.
Impressive, I must say (and also quite nutty).

_______________________________________________________________
I am not trying to bite anyone here.
This is just the best smile I could muster at ~24-25 miles with burning thighs and achy feet.
At least I don't quite look like death, however.
So I am going to go with #3 goal accomplished: much better pics this time around!
_______________________________________________________________
And with a finishing time of 4:49:27 I accomplished that 2nd goal also.
Sweet.
_______________________________________________________________
We don't look too bad after running all over Disney, do we?!?!
And there was still enough energy left in the tank to play a little.
(well, after lots of food & Gatorade, a long shower, and a nap that is!)

So when is the next one??!!

gretchen

14 comments:

Linh C. said...

You and Britney are AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

you guys are great...amazingly great!

congrats!

Lisa said...

ok i keep trying to comment and the computer keeps messing it up - anyway - ya'll both are fabulous. i'm honored to say i know both of you!! ya'll just blow me away - and the pictures are GREAT!!!

Just call me "B" said...

The next one! You funny girl!

Ok, yeah, so when is the next one! I am gonna do some "hip strengthening" before then!

Scott wants to do the Marine Corps run in 2010.

Happay Mommay aka Happay Scrappay said...

you are so beyond awesome and inspiring. Congrats on making it *again* and on accomplishing your goals! maybe someday I'll actually make it that far. For now, I'll stick with my puny little 5Ks

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! I'm doing the couch to 5k program right now so you running marathons (and loving it) is very inspirational to me. Cant wait to see how you scrap this one! :)

p.s. Read the spartan comment to my husband and he said in his best Gerard Butler 300 voice...."Spartans dont wear boots, they wear sandals!" :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations!
i started working out consistently for a month now, and that is my goal within 3 years, to run a marathon. i'll start out with the 1/2 first though.
and what an awesome place to do it.
suzy and i were loving it there last october.

Virginia said...

You rock the casbah! I'm so proud & impressed!

I love all the pics... and crazy about the Gladiator dude!!!

Anonymous said...

Gretchen....you are awesome! You did a great job! And you look adorable in all your pics!

I've got a couple of you too that I need to forward to you.

Way to go, girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gretchen- you are my idol. You go. Congrats on improving your time!

Shelley Burkett said...

I am so proud of you!!!!

Andrea S. said...

Congratulations! Looks like you guys had a good time and did fabulous! :)

Jeff and Casey (and Vanna) said...

wish we could have been there to help cheer you on! congrats!

jenney said...

Yay, Gretchen!!! Way to go!!!